Tuesday, June 11

Ferberizing

We are going back to Ferberizing Xander to get him to sleep in his own bed.  It worked well when he was a baby.  We also didn't have Sterling at the time and it was easier to let him scream, cry, wail...whatever it was he decided he needed to do.  The only reason I haven't done this lately is because of Sterling and I don't want her to have hours of interrupted sleep.  I'm sorry Sterling, but mommy really needs brother to sleep in his bed when she puts him to bed.  I'm hoping it will only be a week long event (or less would be better).  We shall see.

What brought me to this decision?  Last night!  It was a horrible night.  We put him in his bed at 8.  830, still screaming.  I opened his door, which he got quiet, but just stood in the corner of his bed for the next 45 minutes with a very occasional whine, but quiet.  915 I finally just go get him because I know he'll fall asleep if I just put him in our bed.  He does.  930, he's back in his bed.  Now, sometime between 1015 and 1 he was up screaming and back in our bed.  I don't have my clock anymore, but Nick told me that when he woke up at 1, Xander was already in the bed.  
Why do I do this to myself?  I'm tired!  Exhausted is more like it.  When I'm tired, I'm crabby!  It does not make for a good day.   I know why, I mentioned it above.  Sterling.  She's a great sleeper.  Just like her daddy.  She LOVES her sleep!  I don't want to mess up her sleep with all his fussing.  Then I'd have two kids with horrible sleep.  Not fun.  One is enough!  
Nick says that hopefully she's really like him and can tune him out and sleep peacefully with all his screams.

Today's plan.  At nap-time, which is at 1, I will put him in his bed.  I'll let him do what he does for 2 hours.  If after 2 hours he's still awake, I'll put him on the airbed, but in his room.  He can do what he does for another 2 hours, but hopefully this time he'll fall asleep.  At 5 nap-time will be over.  Hopefully he will have taken some sort of nap.  
The reason for the bed change.  I'm not too sure its a smart decision, but he's been sleeping for 1.5-2 hours each day in the living room on the airbed.  So, my thought process is maybe he just wants to be free from the enclosure of the crib?  If it allows him to take his naps...which are VERY important for every kid under 5, IMO...i'll try it!

Have you had this problem?  Have you fixed it?  What worked if you did?  I need help/advice.  Thanks!

I'm going to need a lot of patience over the next few days!

Have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment